Saturday, June 11, 2011

Party 'till the cows come home!

It was 2 weeks ago, but I had so much fun decorating and preparing for Abby's first birthday party that I just have to post some pictures for the blogging world to see!

[Plus, have I mentioned how much I love hosting parties and just enjoy having people over? That's a post for another day...]


So Abby has this stuffed cow... it's one that you press it's hand (hoof?) and the mouth moves and the foot taps and it sings "Don't Worry, Be Happy." For weeks she was fascinated by the thing. She wouldn't go down for a nap unless she could watch it while snuggling with me. So that's where the inspiration for a theme came from...

We had the party at Rocky's dad's house, on a lake. We were hoping for a nice day to get out and play in the water, but it was kinda rainy and cloudy most of the day.

To go with the cow theme, I found super-cute cupcake liners at cowdepot.com. I made dark chocolate cupcakes and topped them with vanilla frosting, and vanilla cupcakes topped with dark chocolate frosting.

I made a marble cake for Abby's smash cake from some of the cupcake batter. I baked it in a small Pyrex container, and it was the perfect size! I spent $4 on a cake decorating bag and tips, and I'm so glad I did. I love how the frosting turned out.




From cafepress.com -- her shirt says "Holy cow, I'm ONE already?"

And after all that time I put into her cake? She only picked at the frosting. Very delicately. No smashing was involved. No cakes were harmed in the filming of this day.

After a full day, we all took a pontoon boat ride around the lake. What a great end to a great day!

Will we put in this much effort for a second birthday party? We'll have to wait and see...

1 comment:

Sadie VK said...

So cute!! Those cow balloons are awesome! And I love the banner of her pictures. You did a great job with everything! I love hosting parties, too. I'm sure I'll get carried away every year with a theme and decorations and whatnot. :-)

Oh, and at first, Lucy wasn't too sure about digging into the cake, either, so I helped her along a little bit. Once I forced her hand down into the cake, she realized there was chocolate in there and then the real fun began! Haha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...