Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Balance

image credit
Sometimes I want to be like the Proverbs 31 woman.

I am a very task-oriented person, so things like "she provides food for her family... her arms are strong for her tasks... she makes coverings for her bed... she makes linen garments and sells them..." speak right to me...

But sometimes I see that list and think how in the world does she accomplish all of that (and not fall into bed exhausted at the end of the day)?!?!

Am I supposed to just pick and choose the things I know I can do? Am I supposed to strive to do it all? Who exactly is this proverb meant for? Is it just a warning to not be lazy?

I do enjoy things like cooking and cleaning and sewing. Most of the time. But in our world today there are so many "conveniences" that make these tasks easier. And I think it sometimes causes us to become lazy. We check a few items off our list and we're done; time to play on the internet now. At least I'm guilty of that mindset.

But how do we balance tasks with relationships (family, friends) with me-time? I'm an introvert. I NEED time alone. I don't get a whole lot with a 15-month-old daughter. Even right now, I'm listening carefully because I know she'll be waking up any minute now. I'm not normally a people-person. Relationships are hard work for me. Whether that's with my husband, or my daughter, or my other friends. It takes time and energy. Honestly, time and energy I would often rather spend on "tasks"...

"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: 'Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.'" Isn't that the praise we as women long to hear?

Life is all about balance, isn't it? Balancing our time, our possessions, our tasks and relationships.

What are some ways you've found to balance your life?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...