Saturday, July 16, 2011
The Saturday 7: July 9-15
2. Last night the 3 of us went up to the Mecosta County Fair in Big Rapids -- a place I spent so much of my time in middle and high school! I was in 4H for... 8 years I think. I've gone back probably 8 of the last 10 years to help judge the Showmanship Sweepstakes competition. It was so weird to realize the last time I showed animals up there was 10 years ago. I felt so old.
3. Rocky and Abby walked around the Fair while I judged, then we walked down the midway together afterward. Abby seemed to enjoy the animals more last night than she did at the zoo. At the end of the midway was a petting zoo (well, a big pen with lots of goats and sheep that you could reach in to pet and feed), and she actually tried to pet some of the animals. That's my girl!
4. Abby has been pretty "talkative" this week -- although not with real words or real babble. Maybe it's more singing. We'll go places in the car and she'll just carry on with one syllable -- usually dadadadadadada or something similar. She's still not saying any full, real words (except dada), I'm trying not to worry about it because...
5. She has been picking up a lot of sign language all of a sudden. She'll consistently say "more" at the dinner table when her tray is empty (it's so cute to see her focus on her fingers!), and we've been doing a little more with actual food words -- like cheese, grapes, milk, and waffles. She signed "cheese" to me the other day at lunch, so I jumped up and got her some, so she'll really associate that sign with that word. Rocky's really jumped on board with the sign language, and it's a lot of fun!
6. Monday night we played 2 softball games. The first went alright, we lost, but only by a couple runs. The second was NOT fun. We got mercied 30-6 in the 5th inning. We were so tired and hot and the other team was so good and could hit the ball anywhere they wanted... Only one more week of regular season play, then the following week starts tournament play.
7. I woke up Monday night/Tuesday morning with the worst headache ever. It was moaning-and-groaning-and-nauseating-bad. I finally fell back to sleep after an hour or so of agony. The next day I felt mostly better, pretty groggy and tired, and still a little nauseated, but the headache was gone. I think I got dehydrated and maybe a little heat exhaustion at the games. I've been trying to take it easy this week and up my water intake.
That's been our week!