Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Lifesong

Empty hands held high, such small sacrifice
If not joined with my life, I sing in vain tonight

May the words I say, and the things I do
Make my lifesong sing, bring a smile to you

Let my lifesong sing to you
Let my lifesong sing to you
I want to sign your name to the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to you

Lord, I give my life, a living sacrifice
To reach a world in need, to be your hands and feet

So may the words I say, and the things I do
Make my lifesong sing, bring a smile to you

Let my lifesong sing to you
Let my lifesong sing to you
I want to sign your name to the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to you

Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
Let my lifesong sing to you


I never realized how simple of a song this was until I typed it out! A two-line verse, a two-line prechorus, a chorus, and another 2-line verse. And a simple two-line bridge. Is that a reflection of how simple my lifesong should be?

“My friends, what good is it to say you have faith, when you don't do anything to show that you really do have faith?” (James 2:14 CEV)
While my good works do not give me salvation and eternal life, faith without works is dead. So many people today claim to be a Christian but don’t live it. It’s the hypocrites that turn people away from Christianity.

I don’t want to be like that. I want to be different. Last Friday night I went to my home County 4H Fair to help judge, and my prayer as I drove up there was that I realize how much of a Christian bubble I live in, and here was an opportunity to shine my light to others.

Even in my own job, in a Christian bookstore, customers and employees alike will often test my patience. I have to hold my tongue when coworkers complain about anything and everything, and tell myself to be calm when people get upset when we don’t have a book in stock that they want.

I can’t change other people’s attitudes and lifestyles, just my own. I am not responsible for them. I’m not perfect; I never will be. It’s tough, because I am such a people-pleaser. I want people to like me. But that should not be my goal. In everything I say and do, my goal needs to be to just want to make Jesus smile. At the end of my day all I want is to hear him say “well done.” What about you? How are your priorities? Just something to think about…

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...